Funding a Wildlands Studies Project



  1. Using FAFSA financial aid – You will need to check with your Financial Aid office about a “Consortium Agreement” if you are interested in having your financial aid pay for a project. The typical Consortium Agreement requirement is a minimum course load of 12 quarter system credits or 12 semester system credits. Wildlands Studies long term courses earn 15 quarter system credits, equal to 10 semester credits. Wildlands Studies has different relationships with a number of colleges and universities to allow students to use their FAFSA Financial Aid. Follow this link for a list to see if we have an established relationship with your university. Check out our list of universities allowing financial aid.
    If you don’t see your university named on this list, visit your advisor or financial aid office to learn if our programs are eligible on your home campus for use of your FAFSA Financial Aid. We have a number of new campuses participate each year, so if you don’t see your campus, be sure to check with your campus or give us a call.
  2. Americorps Vouchers – Often students are able to use their AmeriCorps Vouchers to pay their Wildlands Studies program tuition through their home campus. If you have participated in a program which offered AmeriCorps Vouchers, contact your home campus registrar or financial aid office to learn if you can fund a project using your AmeriCorps Educational Vouchers.
  3. University scholarship funds for study abroad experience – Many universities have scholarship funds specifically for their current students to take advantage of off-campus and/or field based programs. Contact the study abroad office and/or your academic advisor for more information about scholarships available from your home campus.
  4. External Scholarship funds – There are many outside scholarships available, though applying for these will take a good amount of advance planning. We recommend that you speak with your academic advisor or the Study Abroad office at your home campus for more information. But also look around online, there are many consolidated lists of scholarships for study abroad on the web.

back to top


Here are a few off-campus study scholarships for which Wildlands Studies projects may be a good fit, but there are many more out there. There are also a number of databases for study abroad scholarships, we list a few that Wildlands Studies students have found useful. We also recommend that you contact your academic advisor or study abroad office for more options and for scholarship writing advice. Please forward to us any other scholarships or databases that you find particularly helpful so we can pass them along as well!

Scholarship Programs

Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program
Offers grants to undergraduate U.S. citizens who would not otherwise be able to afford international study abroad. Students must be receiving Pell Grant funding at 2- or 4-year colleges or universities to be eligible. This program awards over 2300 scholarships of up to $5000. A number of Wildlands Studies students joined us with Gilman Scholarships

Foundation for Global Scholars
Provide scholarships to U.S. and Canadian citizens who are enrolled in a North American university or college and the transfer credit from the study abroad will be applied to your degree in progress. These scholarships are available to both undergraduate and graduate students (including medical and law school students). The Foundation awards over 200 scholarships each year between $1000 and $2500.

Fund for Education Abroad
Applicants must be US citizens or permanent residents currently enrolled as undergraduates in US universities/colleges who plan to study abroad for at least four weeks. The Fund awards up to 15 scholarships of up to $10,000 each year. In addition, the fund has a few scholarships that are dedicated to certain student bodies (New England students, LGBTQI students) and study abroad locations (Vietnam).

Go Overseas Scholarships 
Offers scholarships to current undergraduate and graduate students enrolled in the United States up to $1000. The application process is quite creative – worth a look.

Diversity Abroad Scholarships 
Offers five $500 scholarships for the summer, and five are available for the fall and spring semesters. Economically disadvantaged students, first-generation, students with disabilities and ethnic and racial diverse students are strongly encouraged to apply.

Web Databases for Funding Opportunities
Remember, this list is just the beginning! There are lots of scholarships out there.

Institute for International Education

Institute for International Education 2


back to top


Wildlands Studies has worked with students from the universities listed below to establish a “Consortium Agreement” that allows the student to use their home campuses FAFSA Financial Aid to pay for their Wildlands Studies project.

If you see your university on this list, you should be able to use your FAFSA Financial Aid. Speak with your academic advisor or the Financial Aid office to receive instructions. If you don’t see your university named on this list, visit your advisor or financial aid office to learn if our programs are eligible on your home campus for use of your FAFSA Financial Aid. It is always worth checking into if your preference is to use FAFSA Financial Aid to pay the project costs.

Universities that allow use of Financial Aid (FAFSA) for Wildlands Studies projects using a Consortium Agreement

Quarter System Universities

  • Evergreen State College
  • Seattle University
  • University of California, Davis
  • University of California, San Diego
  • University of California, Santa Barbara
  • University of California, Santa Cruz
  • University of Denver
  • Western Washington University
  • University of Victoria, Canada


Semester System Universities that have allowed FAFSA Aid in the past

Semester campuses usually require a minimum enrollment of 12 semester credits to establish a Consortium Agreement. Wildlands Studies long projects earn 10 semester credits. If you attend one of the campuses below, you may want to talk with your Advisor about taking additional credits to learn if you can qualify to use your FAFSA Aid to participate on our programs.

  • Brown University
  • Colorado State University, Fort Collins
  • Georgia State University
  • Gonzaga University
  • Indiana State University
  • Northland College
  • Prescott College
  • State University of New York – all campuses through College of Environmental Science and Forestry
  • University of California, Berkeley
  • University of California, Merced
  • University of Michigan
  • University of Minnesota, Twin Cities
  • University of Missouri, St Louis
  • University of New Hampshire
  • Virginia Tech

back to top