Program Costs and Travel Requirements


Our projects usually cost less than a student would pay to go to college for a quarter! When you add up tuition, books, housing, food, and transportation, Wildlands Studies projects cost about the same, and in many cases significantly less, than a student’s university expenses per academic term.

Project fees are listed on each Project’s webpage. Wildlands Studies projects have an academic Program Fee, an on-site In-country fee and costs related to flight and personal expenses. Program Fees are based on the length and location of each project and cover academic fees only. The on-site or "in-country" fee covers expenses such as transportation during the program; camping fees; Park/Nature/Reserve entrance fees; permits; use of study facilities; rental of group equipment. Flight costs, travel gear, food and personal expenditures are paid directly by participants. Program Fees are due upon acceptance into a project and must be paid by the Program Fee deadline. After fee deadlines, enrollment is accepted on a space-available basis. Fees paid to Wildlands Studies cover program and academic fees only.

Students are required to book their own travel from their home to the Project meeting location. In our detailed Logistics letter, mailed to students about ten weeks prior to the start of their Project, we will provide details on the project meeting location (usually the arrival airport—especially for international projects), along with instructions on how to meet up with the instructor and the student team. Our domestic projects often meet at a youth hostel or similar location, and again, instructions are provided in our logistical packet on where to meet and how to get there.  In some cases, we will recommend that the students arrive the evening before, stay in a designated youth hostel, and meet with the team early the next morning. All our travel and meeting information is provided in detail in our logistics packet, emailed to each student approximately ten weeks in advance of the project start date. 


Wildlands Studies and Western Washington University do not directly offer scholarships or financial aid for Wildlands Studies projects. Many students coming from quarter system campuses are able to form “Consortium Agreements” between their home university campus and Wildlands Studies for the use of FAFSA financial aid from their home campus. This is at the discretion of each university. Have your student check with their Financial Aid office about a “Consortium Agreement” if they are interested in using financial aid to pay for their project.

There are other ways to fund a Wildlands Studies course that take more initiative and work on the part of the student. There are many outside scholarships available. In addition, many universities have scholarship funds specifically allocated for their current students to take advantage of off-campus and/or field based programs. We recommend that students speak with their academic advisor or the Study Abroad office at their home campus for more information.

For more information on our Project Fees, please see our webpage.



For international travel, students need a current passport that does not expire until six months after their departure from the host country. Wildlands Studies will ask for a student’s passport information during the application process (for an international program), including name on the passport, passport number, date of issue, and date of expiration. Many countries require this information for reservations. In addition, Wildlands Studies often registers students with the Department of Security/US Embassy in the country of travel. For this, we need the student’s passport details.

Wildlands Studies always recommends that each student make copies of their passport information to leave at home with a family member, and that they scan the passport details in an email to themselves. This makes it much easier to replace their passport should they lose it while on the project and need to have it replaced.


Many of the countries where Wildlands Studies projects are held require entry visas. We do not use student visas as they require a direct association and formal relationship with a university abroad. Wildlands Studies is an educational partner with a US-based university, Western Washington University, and is not formally hosted by a university abroad. For this reason, we use tourist visas for our international projects. Students are responsible for obtaining the correct visa before departure. Instructions will be sent to students in the Logistics letter for their project approximately ten weeks in advance of the project start date. When applying for their tourist visa, students should request enough time for their entire stay, especially if they plan to travel before or after the project.